Sunday, January 5, 2014

Revisiting the Angels of the Shadow Children

Early last November, I posted my plans for working on a new series of dolls I have called: "Engel der Schatten Kinder" (German) which translated is: "the Angel of the Shadow Children."

Katie and I, along with our daughter Emily, attended a three-week workshop with Virginia Fry on grief and loss in the lives of children and their families. In that workshop, she explained that Hospice care in Germany during the past ten years has recognized the forgotten voice of the siblings of terminally ill children.  These children, young and old alike, often “fall into the shadows” during this time of grief and loss.

With that in mind, I have re-worked my original design for the series of three angels of the“schatten kinder” among us; their guardians, of sorts…   In the following ancient Hebrew text taken from Isaiah 49:15...  I am reminded that we, like they, are not forgotten, nor left in the shadows.  It reads: “Can a woman forget her nursing child and have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, but I will not forget you."

And so… once again, inspired by the work of Russian artist Roman Shustrov…  I will begin working with traditional paper maché paste and strips of newspaper applied to these newest fabric, wood and wire mesh armatures.  Their heads will be sculpted with paper clay over the Styrofoam armature.  

I have also included in the design of this angel a vintage metal key hole complete with a vintage skeleton key.  Arms… will be optional!

3 comments:

  1. That wing shape is very characteristic of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these 'new beginning' shadow children...as they have a new beginning in heaven to those who see them in the shadows here on Earth.
    The workshop must have been an awesome time and tribute to the children who have 'gone on' from those who are still here thinking of them with hearts full of longing and love.
    XO to you ALL!!!
    Teresa in California
    http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, and I do 'get it' that some children are left in the shadows when a sick child needs more attention, as I have a handi-cap Down's son, and I know the scenario totally. It affects the entire function of the family and people who are looking on the family from the 'outside' have a hard time visualizing the heartache and pain the entire family goes through when things like this happen. And sometimes there are no answers. You can delete this if you want if the thoughts are too deep or not appropriate. But lately, I have been one to deal with honesty of thought even when some people don't understand things.

    ReplyDelete