Thursday, June 11, 2020

Vellum vs. Onion Skin Paper... You Tell Me!

Well... as promised back on my May 19th post (though later then expected) 
Here are the side-by-side comparisons
Vellum vs. Onion Skin Paper

Vellum

Onion Skin Paper
                        
The photocopy ink faded and lifted from the vellum (top photo) 
when I applied the paper maché paste to adhere it... 
This is NOT good!

The photocopy ink remained sharp and smear-proof on the Onion Skin!

Vellum

Onion Skin Paper
                            
The vellum remained somewhat more transparent when layering
over other papers, than the onion skin paper (I was a bit surprised!)

Both papers offered some transparency... though the onion skin paper
was considerably more malleable when the paste was applied. 

The bottom-line: 
I'm going to be using Onion Skin Paper 
for future mixed-media pieces!  

6 comments:

  1. I just went through your blog. Love your art! What happened to your cloth and clay blog and classes? Love the project above! I am writing a list of supplies. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Rochelle! Back a few years ago I decided to take a break from the multiple blogging sites and closed out the other two blogs. Some of my reasoning was because there was a drastic decline in "art doll" sales; to which the one blog was completely dedicated.
      I think you'll enjoy this mixed media approach!
      Stay well!
      Daryle

      Delete
  2. Where do you get such things as vellum & onion skin? This tiny town we live in has little in the way of art supplies, fabric stores, etc. :~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, rural America... there was a day when that made a HUGE difference, in terms of art supply access! Staples (office supplies) online carries both JAM vellum (that's where I purchased mine) and onion skin paper. The particular onion skin paper I use is quite dated, but I still find it online: "Eagles Papers" light weight onion skin #9 with a "conkle" finish. I'm quite sure that most any brand of "onion skin" paper will work well.
      Hope this helps Jan!

      Delete
  3. I was delighted to see someone use ee as inspiration - he is my favorite poet! Love your work. Two questions - where is your work for sale, and why did you choose paper mache paste versus other things like gel medium?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot remember a time when E. E. Cummings' work didn't speak to me...
      My work, when I'm exhibiting, can be found at the Riverfront Renaissance Center for the Arts in Millville, NJ. They are currently offering only virtual exhibits due to COVID-19; but that is changing over the next few weeks. And on occasion, I will sell one-of-a-kind pieces at the Scarecrow Factory, in Pitman, NJ.
      As I mentioned in the Somerset Studio article, summer issue 2020, I rekindled an appreciation for paper maché several years ago, after viewing the work of Russian artist Roman Shustrov. For me, there is a measure of tactile pleasure in working with ooey-gooey paper maché paste!
      But, having said that... I am currently actually working on two pieces and entertaining the idea of using gel medium; to produce a faux-encaustic appearance, by building up thick layers of the medium over papers, paint and dyes.
      Have fun & Thank You for stopping by!
      -Daryle

      Delete